The Department issues required permits under the Building Code and other applicable codes of the City of Huntington. The City requires permits for applicable construction, reconstruction, remodeling and demolition activities to ensure the safety and welfare of residents, workers and visitors.

Properties in unincorporated Huntington County or any of the small towns are under the jurisdiction of the Huntington Countywide Department of Community Development (DCD).

Click here to review our permit application process.

Below are the current permit application forms for the City of Huntington. If you are unsure of what forms are applicable to your project, please contact us or see the lists below. Also remember that most of the forms require site plans and/or other submittals.

Residential Only - Projects & Permit Application Forms

Sheds (including pre-built), garages, pole barns, detached garages, gazebos, pergolas, etc. < 200 SQ FT

Sheds (including pre-built), garages, pole barns, detached garages, gazebos, pergolas, etc. > 200 SQ FT

New dwelling

Addition to dwelling (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, attached garaged, etc.)

Change in roof pitch or structural alterations

Residential swimming pools

Commercial Only - Projects & Permit Application Forms

New commercial structures and additions

Sheds (including pre-built), garages, pole barns, detached garages, gazebos, pergolas, etc. < 200 SQ FT

Sheds (including pre-built), garages, pole barns, detached garages, gazebos, pergolas, etc. > 200 SQ FT

Projects & Permit Application Forms

Fences (including new, repaired, modified or replacements)

Wood decks, deck roofs, handicap ramps, 3 season room (deck enclosure), etc.

Open porch, porch with roof, roof over an existing porch, 3 season room (porch enclosure)

New service, upgrades, branch circuits, temporary service, etc.

Plumbing work associated with new construction, remodeling or remodeling/alterations

Demolition of structures > 200 SQ FT

New construction, development, substantial improvement, earthwork or other activity within the regulated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)

New, relocated, or altered permanent and temporary signs

Required by state law when using lightweight I-joists or lightweight roof trusses in a residential or commercial structure

In accordance with Title XV of the City of Huntington Code of Ordinances, the following require a permit from the Department:


  • Construction of new residential dwellings
  • Construction of additions to residential dwellings (including the enclosure of existing structures)
  • Construction of decks (both attached and detached)
  • Construction of porches
  • Construction of accessory structures (including, regardless of size or pre-buit/site built: garages, sheds, carports, gazebos, pergolas, etc.)
  • Construction of non-residential structures
  • Construction of additions to non-residential structures
  • Interior renovation to non-residential structures, including work which requires a State Design Release
  • Construction of new roof projections and structural changes to roofs (not re-shingling)
  • *NOTE: Building Code prohibits the installation of more than two layers of roofing materials
  • Location of a manufactured home (including those inside mobile home parks)
  • Construction of in-ground swimming pools
  • Construction of on-ground swimming pools that are capable of a water depth greater than 42" or located inside a residence
  • Replacement, movement or reconstruction of any structure which, if new would require a building permit
  • Temporary structures


  • New service
  • Service upgrades
  • Relocation or alteration of service
  • Connection of a service to a manufactured or mobile home
  • Branch circuits


  • New homes
  • Residential additions
  • Commercial structures
  • Commercial additions
  • The addition of plumbing fixtures in any structure
  • Accessory structures with plumbing


  • Demolition of structures larger than 200 square feet


  • Construction of a new fence
  • Reconstruction or modification to an existing fence (including changes to the type or height of fence)


  • Construction, development or excavation in Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)
  • Installation of permanent signs
  • Installation of temporary signs
  • Home occupations
  • Livestock operation
  • Airport height

Please note that this list is intended to be a summary and each project is different. This list does not include permits required by other Departments (such as sidewalk, drive cut, water tap, sewer tap, etc. as issued by the City Engineering Department). Therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that all required permits have been obtained prior to commencing construction activity. 

Quick Links